Benefits of Gokshura
Posted on: 03-09-2015 Article Readers : 13
Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), also known as Puncture vine, is an annual plant that is highly adaptive to most of the climatic conditions of the world but thrives especially, in regions with dry climate conditions. It is available mostly in Southern Europe, Southern Asia, parts of Africa and in Australia. The herb falls in the weed category and has densely hairy stems, yellow flowers, and fruits in the form of nutlets or burs. Its extracts are widely used by body builders for toning and strengthening muscles, but that is just one of the many therapeutic applications of the herb.
Gokshura is extensively used in Ayurveda, Unani, and traditional Chinese treatments. The chief benefits for which this weedy herb is mostly used are enumerated as under:
- It helps in relieving stress and tension, mollifies headaches, eradicates psychological disorders and other serious mental ailments such as Parkinson’s disease. Gokshura helps in regulating serotonin as it itself contains MOA inhibitors. Regulation of serotonin directly influences mental states by improving a person’s mood.
- It increases the flow of fluids in the urinary tract and therefore prevents many venereal diseases, urinary tract infections, bladder infections, kidney infections, kidney stones, prostate problems, urinary retention,haematuria and renal colic. It reduces cloudy urination. It sustains the cellular walls of the urinary tract and also eradicates debris on the walls without any irascibility.
- It increases sexual drive in both men and women by increasing the release of testosterone and oestrogen, and thereby revitalizing the uterus and gonads. It improves fertility and lactation in women and sperm count and motility in men.
- Due to the increased secretion of testosterone after consumption of Gokshura, it is also used as an anabolic steroid by bodybuilders to increase body mass and build muscles.
- Skin troubles are also handled effectively by this herb. It acts as a skin cleanser and can be applied in cases of skin eruptions, swelling, itchiness or irritation, urticaria (hives) and to heal wounds on the skin.
- It helps in cases of eye inflammation and in some early cases, can also act as an anti-diabetic.
Gokshura is consumed in commercial tablet forms or in the form of extracts. When applied on skin, it is applied as a paste. Although some people complain to have stomach pain after intaking this herb, this problem can be counteracted if it is consumed in conjunction with food. It has no side effects and hence can be consumed over long periods of time. However, proper medical supervision is advisable especially for pregnant or lactating women, children, diabetics and people suffering from hypertension.
Gokshura is one of the exceptional herbs that has both nourishing and purgative properties. Any input in the article or stories with the consumption of this herb is appreciated. We look forward to your feedback.
...View All Articles